Pre-Press Production Artist
Full-Time | Posted 8/17/18
Are you a skilled production artist with a knack for detail and problem solving? We're looking for a full-time Pre-Press Production Artist to join the creative team at 4walls.
4walls is a leading boutique design and manufacturing firm specializing in sophisticated, large-scale, customizable wall murals and window film graphics for commercial interiors. (More about us here.)
We're a company of close-knit people that share a passion for design and beautiful interiors. Our Midtown Corridor studio is a casual, upbeat environment that's always full of energy and activity (not to mention a great view of the lake). And while we have a lot of fun, we work well as a team in the fast-paced world of commercial wallcoverings.
- Assist our Commercial Account Managers with preparing and creating files for production, by preparing mockups, strike- offs, and production files as needed. Assist with color management and quality control both in the file preparation stage and post-production.
Digital production file creation, graphics editing and manipulation, custom design, and interpretation. Create digital print files according to design concepts, communicate concerns regarding image resolution, check customer provided files for print-readiness and advise on file prep. Identify potential file issues and control quality of production output for highest possible quality end-product.
Creation of digital production files from beginning of job to final production, including digital mockup PDFs, custom samples, strike offs, final production files, and installation diagrams.
Communicate design concerns and issues to contract account managers, provide appealing alternative solutions to secure project for distribution.
Quality control on strike offs and production – advise on issues with color matching or resolution and coordinate with management on final decisions to approve or reject. Communicate with production staff on special project needs, deadlines, and specifications.
Ensuring receivables correspond to requested materials and making requested changes to design concepts in a timely fashion to meet or exceed both internal and external Service Level Agreements, and control quality of production output for highest possible quality end-product.
Assist Contract Support team in meeting or exceeding established lead times.
Manage digital assets, maintaining organized server files for production projects for ease of understanding by management and production team. Reduce file size where possible, maintain backups, and technical maintenance of personal work computer.
Oversee quality control for sampling production files, to ensure the correct sales tools are being produced.
Collaborating and advising design team on growth in design theme requests, ease of working with production files, and potential issues in requests for customization of design concepts – to promote sales, reduce overhead costs in design file prep, and avoid potential reprints due to file flaws.
Do you have these skills and demonstrated areas of competence and experience?
Meticulous attention to detail and high level of organizational skills required.
Math and analytical skills – Ability to visualize and determine area and create design layouts to fit to design specifications. Ensure file prep fits within the estimated design budget or communicate excesses to Account Managers.
Ability to read and understand architectural elevations and floorplans, design concepts, and order information.
Prompt and specific Communication, receiving and interpreting requests, meeting or exceeding established turnaround times for receivables.
Advanced knowledge of Photoshop and Illustrator,
Experience in Excel, Zendesk or other CRM platform, Outlook, Acrobat, Website use and identifying potential technology growth.
Basic knowledge of design trends and graphic design fundamentals, color theory, layout, and technical requirements for image resolution and file-to-print preparation.
Minimum 5 years’ experience in graphic design or other art-related creative endeavor.
We're also looking for candidates with the following attributes:
- The ability to successfully work in a creative, non-traditional work environment that values open/honest and timely communications and actively supports the trust and respect of all those we work with.
- Willingness to take initiative in identifying problems and providing ideas for solutions.
- Aptitude for learning new skills and bridging gaps in project needs, as position potentially grows. Drive and motivation to improve personal skills and training through workshops, educational options, and outreach via trips to visit distributors and strengthen ties to outside partners.
- Ability to visualize large-scale projects and motivation to ensure delivery of exceptional product.
- Proficiency in communicating with team members and management, identifying potential areas where additional support may be needed and maintaining a positive work environment for freelance assistance.
- Minimum Associate’s degree.
Preferred Bachelor’s degree in Liberal Arts, Studio Art, Architecture, Design, or applicable coursework and commensurate experience.
To apply, email your resume to Samantha Bako [Director of Operations] at email@example.com, and use Pre-Press Production Artist as your subject.